Forum Club Cars News Gallery Links Home

Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Event Calendar | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Daimler, Lanchester & BSA Forums
 Daimler Forum
 Molasses
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Topic
Page: of 2

Andy M
Local Guru

United Kingdom
140 Posts

Posted - 16 November 2014 :  8:18:23 PM  Show Profile
I had heard about the powers of using molasses as a rust remover so thought Iíd put the process to the test on a few parts on my Dart restoration.
First off I couldnít believe how much molasses you get for your money. I phoned a local animal feed supplier looking for 5 litres and ended up getting a 25 litre drum for only £8.56. The process calls for a mix of 9 parts water to 1 part molasses so for under a tenner Iíve got a staggering 250 litres of rust eating potential.

I tested the process on the brake reservoir can which was pretty messed up as youíll see below. It was too delicate to sandblast so I mixing up a small batch and you can see the results of an 8 day steep.

With result like this and so much mixture on tap Iím now going big. Today I sandblasted the worst of the rust off my old hood frame and the radiator surround and grill from my friends Morris Minor project. Blasting took the rough off but theyíre still pretty grotty and the blaster doesnít get into the nooks and crannies. A wooden tank 52Ēx25Ēx20Ē tank is in work and will be lined with heavy polythene before the parts and mixture will be left to soak for a few weeks.

Iíll report back on progress.

[URL=http://s1206.photobucket.com/user/FXS77/media/Daimler%20SP250/8EB1D94B-D29C-48B9-9B5B-0DA77386C8FE.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s1206.photobucket.com/user/FXS77/media/Daimler%20SP250/188B93F1-5BE6-449F-8BBC-388232413A85.jpg.html][/URL]

Regards,
Andy Middleditch
'B' spec Dart. FXS 77

David Woolcock
Advanced Guru

United Kingdom
270 Posts

Posted - 16 November 2014 :  9:03:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit David Woolcock's Homepage
Hi Andy

Do you think it would have the same effect on a slightly rusty petrol tank interior?

David
Go to Top of Page

Andy M
Local Guru

United Kingdom
140 Posts

Posted - 16 November 2014 :  9:17:07 PM  Show Profile
I donít see how not, and no need to build a submersion tank either.

Regards,
Andy Middleditch
'B' spec Dart. FXS 77
Go to Top of Page

David Woolcock
Advanced Guru

United Kingdom
270 Posts

Posted - 16 November 2014 :  9:21:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit David Woolcock's Homepage
Thanks for getting back so quickly, I will give it a go.

Regards

David
Go to Top of Page

davep
Super Expert

United Kingdom
10556 Posts

Posted - 16 November 2014 :  9:22:16 PM  Show Profile
Andy,

That is incredible - thanks for sharing the tip!

Dave

Lives: Pembrokeshire

Club cars: 1939 E20 faux-cabriolet & 1948 DB18/2 saloon
Go to Top of Page

antijam
Super Expert

United Kingdom
1224 Posts

Posted - 16 November 2014 :  10:03:44 PM  Show Profile

An impressive result, though I hope your large tank will be living outside - after a few weeks the pong from the fermenting mixture is likely to be spectacular.

Nick
Go to Top of Page

terryfrombury
Advanced Guru

United Kingdom
375 Posts

Posted - 16 November 2014 :  10:06:33 PM  Show Profile
That`s an amazing tip, Andy. Thank you for sharing it with us.
Terry
Go to Top of Page

Ian Hastings
Advanced Guru

United Kingdom
203 Posts

Posted - 16 November 2014 :  11:45:29 PM  Show Profile
Molasses came out top in a 'rust eating' test against other materials featured in Practical Classics last month.
Glad to see it actually works.

Ian Hastings
Go to Top of Page

daimler_fan

United Kingdom
75 Posts

Posted - 16 November 2014 :  11:54:40 PM  Show Profile
I've tried Vinegar, citric acid, and even Pepsi cola and they all work to an extent, some far better than some expensive proprietary rust removers.
Now I must try molasses, Thanks.

John
1969 Daimler V8 250 Saloon
Go to Top of Page

Norfolk Lad
Super Expert

United Kingdom
530 Posts

Posted - 17 November 2014 :  07:51:47 AM  Show Profile
Andy if it is 9 litres of water 1 of molasses that makes 10 ,10 X 5 makes 50 Litres,so did you buy more then 5 litres of molassses for under a tenner.No wish to find fault just that the process will work better if correct, if not we will all have 250 litres of mix needing more molasses. The sudden demand will put the price up so i need to rush out and stock up this could be the new gold, look's to make a wonderful job and not costing a fortune let us hope we get same results. Peter
Go to Top of Page

Andy M
Local Guru

United Kingdom
140 Posts

Posted - 17 November 2014 :  08:39:10 AM  Show Profile
Peter, sorry to correct to you but I'm sure my maths are accurate. As I said in my original post I set out to but 5L but ended up with a 25L drum. Diluted 9:1 that is definitely 250L.

Ian. I also ready the article in Practical Classics. I had seen the molasses process on YouTube in the past but it was reading the PC article that gave me the notion to try it myself.

By the way, I don't think we need to worry about prices suddenly being inflated. When I was in the office at the animal feeds distributer they sent me round to the warehouse with my chitty. The store man joked at me buying such a small quaintly and said he was more used to making up 25 gallon orders!

Regards,
Andy Middleditch
'B' spec Dart. FXS 77
Go to Top of Page

marcmears
Super Expert

United Kingdom
548 Posts

Posted - 17 November 2014 :  5:43:26 PM  Show Profile
I too use molasses - mix 10 to 1

Daimler Dart. Healey 3000 Mk3. VW T2 Camper. BMW 2002tii. 996 Turbo. BMW Z3M. Hillman Tilly. Rolls Royce 20/25. Xk 150 ots .
Sunbeam Alpine Mk3.Morris 8 Tourer. 97 XK8 Convertible.

Go to Top of Page

marcmears
Super Expert

United Kingdom
548 Posts

Posted - 17 November 2014 :  5:46:59 PM  Show Profile
oh yes --I went out and got a plastic bin for my tank - £9.99
http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Heavy-Duty-Dustbin-90L/p/209345

Daimler Dart. Healey 3000 Mk3. VW T2 Camper. BMW 2002tii. 996 Turbo. BMW Z3M. Hillman Tilly. Rolls Royce 20/25. Xk 150 ots .
Sunbeam Alpine Mk3.Morris 8 Tourer. 97 XK8 Convertible.

Go to Top of Page

Norfolk Lad
Super Expert

United Kingdom
530 Posts

Posted - 17 November 2014 :  6:07:38 PM  Show Profile
Andy you are indeed correct the 25 litres was off my screen, should have done this the first time looked properly.
Guess no need and rush out to by all the stock in Norfolk, no chance of making a fortune on the rising market value.
Still a cheap method of cleaning away the rust and always available, never mind the dustbin what about those big black
fruit juice containers 1500 litres i have one.
Peter
Go to Top of Page

Captain bobo
Super Expert

United Kingdom
1637 Posts

Posted - 17 November 2014 :  10:24:11 PM  Show Profile
This is really useful information. Now to find a local animal feed supplier.

By the way, after soaking in molasses mix is there a "best" way to clean the liquid off before priming, painting, etc?

Best wishes, Dave B

Lives in Kimbolton, Cambridgeshire. 1969 V8 250 saloon & 1937 Daimler 15 Mulliner Sports Saloon
Go to Top of Page

NKH763

Australia
73 Posts

Posted - 18 November 2014 :  03:19:51 AM  Show Profile
Hi,

I have just hosed it off in the past, but you have to be very quick to prepare the metal as it will rust very quickly.

Just remember, it will only act on rust, any painted surface will be untouched, I'm not sure about residual rubber/silicones on the metal but i'd say they would be intact.

And it will eat alloy parts to so be sure it's just steel you are soaking!

Cheers,

Nigel
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Daimler and Lanchester Centre © Daimler & Lanchester Owners Club Go To Top Of Page
Page generated by DLCentre in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000